Sunday, January 24, 2010

No News Really IS Good News!

I have been so remiss in updating this blog -- it is disgraceful! However, since I started this blog to help me cope with what I was certain were going to be some very dark days, the lack of updating is actually a good thing!

Sam is doing GREAT. He has finished his every-other-week chemo treatments and has graduated to maintenance treatments once a month. He no longer has to have the dreaded IV chemo that ruins his appetite and makes me sure he is on death's doorstep. Instead he gets the pill form (really, human oncology needs to take lessons here) and just has to have blood work to check on his white blood cell (WBC) count. This is great news!

Dr. Kelly (the oncologist) says he is doing great. At his last appointment she said if she did not know Sam, she would never even know he had cancer. There is no sign of lymphoma ANYWHERE in his physical exam or his blood work.

Sam of course, does not know the difference, but G and I sure do! He is acting younger than he has acted in years and runs around the house like a puppy. He loves to go to Dr. Kelly's office and bays when he sees his favorite nurses (Amy and Garret). The first day I met with the oncologist, Dr. Kelly told me that doggie chemo was nothing like what I was thinking. After having dear friends go through chemo for breast cancer, I thought I was going to have a sick puppy that was going to lose his hair. When she said they jokingly called what they gave "youth serum" I thought they were just trying to make me feel better about what I thought was going to be torturing my dog. They told me eventually Sam would LOVE to come to see them because they made it such a pleasant experience. For obvious reasons, I thought they were lying. Seriously? A dog LIKING to go to the vet? And not only that, a dog LIKING to get poison injected into its veins?

Not so, not so at all. They were so right. Sam loves to go there! He doesn't shake or whine at all!. In fact, he has gotten so he jumps out of the car when we get there and starts baying when he walks in the door. He really gets going when he sees Amy and Garrett (his favorite nurses)! They spoil him rotten -- G says it is like having a rock star for a dog. They actually pre-soak crunchy dog biscuits in water so he can chew them easier! Although I think he always hopes they forget because then he gets canned dog food served to him in a dish by Miss Amy. I think he knows she has a soft spot for hound dogs named Sam -- she lost her basset to cancer and the experience of working through that with Dr. Kelly as her oncologist inspired her to go to vet tech school and now she works for Dr. Kelly! Sam loves her.

This is such a relief for G and I. We were convinced when EVIL DR. PARK AT SUN RANCH VET IN LOS LUNAS misdiagnosed him that we were too late to save him. Now we have a beagle that acts much younger than his 14 years and are looking for another one to add to our family.

I am so grateful that this has all worked out for the best. I was terrified back in August when we finally got a correct diagnosis. I thought he certainly was not going to make it to Halloween, let alone to see his 14th birthday and ring in 2010 with us! We are so blessed and lucky to still have our Sam with us. I think he is going to love having a puppy to train! Maybe soon I will turn this back into a blog about G and I ... but I sure do love talking about Sam. I will have to get him to pose for some pictures soon ...

2 comments:

  1. Charity! I found your blog from Amanda's, I can't believe your dog is going through chemo and seeing Dr. Kelly just like our dog did! Our lab, Will, lost a toe to a mast cell tumor, and after six months or so of chemo he is a new man with no recurrences (we did the chemo dec. through june '08). Knock on wood he will stay healthy. We love Dr. Kelly! I'm glad you have a blog, I hope you keep updating it about your life, I'd love to follow! -- Stephani Dingreville (Bad News Bears forever!) Oh yeah, our blog is at www.remiandsteph.blogspot.com now if you want to see some pics of Camille.

    ReplyDelete